Building Control

How do I make a Building Regulations application?

There are two ways of making a building regulations application:

  • A Full Plans application
  • A Building Notice application

Full plans

A full plans application involves submitting detailed plans and specifications for the proposed work. The plans will be checked in detail and if found to be satisfactory, a formal decision notice will be issued.

The application should contain:

  • Detailed drawings of the proposed work.
  • Site or location plan, which shows the proposal, site boundaries and the position of public sewers.
  • Any specification which accompanies the drawings.
  • For buildings subject to fire safety legislation, i.e. most commercial, industrial and retail premises - fire safety drawings must be included showing: fire resistance, compartmentation, fire detection and alarms, emergency lighting, means of escape and signage.
  • Structural design and calculations.
  • The completed application form, estimate of cost of work and/or size of any new floor areas and the appropriate fee.

Certain types of application must be in the form of a full plans application. These include:

  • Building work in relation to a building to which the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies, or will apply after the completion of the building work.
  • Building work that includes the erection of a building fronting onto a private street.
  • Building work in relation to which regulation H4 (Building over sewers) applies.

Building Notice

A building notice application involves giving details on the Building Notice form and providing a block plan. No formal decision notice will be issued but the Building Notice will be acknowledged.

Building Notice applications must include:

  • A completed Building Notice form
  • If the proposal is for a new building or extension to a site, a plan drawn showing: location, boundaries of site, drainage and any public sewers.
  • The appropriate fee and estimate if required.

Building Notices are most suitable for small, domestic developments, although they can be used for new houses and extensions. If you are in any doubt, please contact us for further advice.

A Building Notice should not be used for:

  • Any building subject to fire safety legislation, i.e. most commercial, industrial and retail premises.
  • houses fronting onto private streets (this excludes most new houses); and
  • a building that is over or within three metres of a public sewer.

When a Building Notice has been submitted, we may ask you for any plans of the work, or calculations to show that the Building Regulations are being complied with. This also applies if the work is not straightforward, such as loft conversions.

A Building Regulations application form can be downloaded by choosing the appropriate link below. A fee is payable for submitting an application. Information on the schedule of fees is also available below.

Applications can be emailed to or posted F.A.O Building Control, County Hall, Freemens Way, Haverfordwest, SA61 1TP

When submitting please make sure that you complete the forms correctly and provide us with all the information we request to avoid delay in processing your application.’

Building Regulations Submission Form

Building Control Charges and Guidance


ID: 2438, revised 14/06/2024