Ukrainian Information Centre

Advice on money, benefits and entitlement

Everyone in Pembrokeshire can access free independent and impartial advice on their rights and responsibilities, including financial support.

This might include welfare benefits / claim forms, debt management, financial education or a conversation to check that you are getting everything you are entitled to.

Some utility companies operate schemes to assist those struggling or needing help to pay their bills.  

For more information contact:

  • Pembrokeshire Citizens Advice – 01437 806070 or visit Pembs CAB 
  • Age Cymru Dyfed – 03333 447 874 or visit Age UK 
ID: 9205, revised 17/03/2023

Cost of Living Support

Both sponsors and Ukrainian guests may be eligible for Cost of Living Support, which includes:

Energy Bills Support Scheme

Households will get £400 of support with their energy bills through an expansion of the Energy Bills Support Scheme. The full £400 payment will now be made as a grant and will not have to be paid back. Energy suppliers will deliver this support to households with a domestic electricity meter over six months from October. Direct debit and credit customers will have the money credited to their account, while customers with pre-payment meters will have the money applied to their meter or paid via a voucher.

This support is in addition to the £150 Council Tax rebate for households in England in Council Tax bands A-D.

£650 Cost of Living Payment for those on means tested benefits

Households on means tested benefits will receive a payment of £650 this year, made in two instalments. This includes all households receiving the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Pension Credit

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will make the payment in two lump sums – the first from July, the second in the autumn. Payments from HMRC for those on tax credits only will follow shortly after each to avoid duplicate payments.

For recipients of DWP benefits: To get the first Cost of Living Payment, you must have been entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of either:

  • Universal Credit for an assessment period that ended in the period of 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022 ii. income-based JSA, income-related ESA, Income Support or State Pension Credit for any day in the period of 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022
  • For recipients of tax credits: To get the first payment, you must have received a payment, or an annual award of at least £26, of tax credits on any day in the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022.

HMRC and DWP will provide further guidance, and the government will set out the qualifying dates for the second instalment, in due course. This payment will be tax-free, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards. The government will make these payments directly to households across the UK.

More information can be found at: Cost of living payment 

One-off £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

This additional one-off payment will go to pensioner households who receive the Winter Fuel Payment and will be paid on top of any other one-off support a pensioner household is entitled to, for example where they are on pension credit or receive disability benefits. Eligible households currently receive between £200-£300, so the payment will represent at least double the support for this winter.

The Winter Fuel Payment (including the extra Pensioner Cost of Living Payment) is not taxable and does not affect eligibility for other benefits.

All pensioner households will get the one-off Pensioner Cost of Living Payment as a top-up to their annual Winter Fuel Payment in November/December. For most pensioner households, this will be paid by direct debit. People will be eligible for this payment if they are over State Pension age (aged 66 or above) between 19-25 September 2022. There are certain circumstances where an individual above State Pension age does not qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment which can be found here on (Winter Fuel Payment)

The government will make these payments directly to households across the UK.

£150 Disability Cost of Living Payment

Around six million people across the UK who receive the following disability benefits will receive a one-off payment of £150 from September:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Scottish Disability Benefits
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

Claimants must have received a payment (or later receive a payment) of, one of these qualifying benefits for as of 25th May 2022 to get the payment. For the many disability benefit recipients who receive means tested benefits, this £150 will come on top of the £650 they will receive separately. These payments will be exempt from tax, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards.

The government will make these payments directly to eligible people across the UK.

More information can be found at Cost of Living Support 


Help for Households

See what other support is available to help with the cost of living and find out how to save money with our energy saving tips.

Help for Households - Get government cost of living support

ID: 9206, revised 17/03/2023

Ukrainian Information Centre

As the situation in Ukraine continues Pembrokeshire extends its offer of help and support to those arriving with us following the awful circumstances.

On the following pages you will find some useful information about living in Pembrokeshire including financial support, employment, housing, health care, education and much more.

ID: 9100, revised 26/10/2022


Pembrokeshire County Council has a wide range of Housing Support Services available and a large network of supporting agencies that provide additional services for the residents of Pembrokeshire.

Within the Local Authority, the Housing Advice Team provides assistance under The Housing (Wales) Act 2014. They are able to provide advice and assistance to anyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness within 56 days.

We have a social housing register scheme called Choice Homes@Pembrokeshire where applicants can place bids on available social housing, the scheme incorporates Local Authority properties and those from the two Housing Associations: Ateb and Wales and West Housing.

Within the Local Authority the Private Rented Sector Team offer advice to Landlords and Tenants regarding eviction notices, they also carry out Housing Standards Inspections on the conditions of Accommodation within the area.

We work closely with our Housing Support Grant team. We commission services from providers to offer Tenancy Support to those who require assistance to source, manage and maintain a tenancy regardless of tenure.

Accommodation with Host Families

You are currently being accommodated with a host family. The family are only able to claim £500 per month as a thank you payment.

When you are in receipt of an income, for example working and earning wages or getting Universal credit, there is an expectation for you to contribute to the household costs. You should be purchasing your own food or contributing to the weekly food shop costs if this is the agreement you have with your host. You should also be contributing towards the cost of utility bills such as gas, electricity and water rates. The current cost of utility bills is extremely high, which is why it is important you prioritise paying towards them. Again, this is something we encourage you to discuss with your host to agree what is reasonable contribution to make. For more information, see the living expenses fact sheet.

Host families are able to continue to receive the ‘thank you’ payment for up to 12 months. After 12 months, it is expected that longer-term accommodation will have been sourced and secured to allow you to live independently.

What happens if you need to leave your host accommodation early?

If you and your host are no longer able to continue to reside together for whatever reason, you need to let your Lead Worker know at the earliest opportunity. The more time we have to help you find alternative accommodation, the better, as we may not always have accommodation available in the area you are currently residing in.

If you need to leave immediately please see below how to get in touch with us:

If you need to leave at short notice we will try to match you accommodation in the following ways:

  • Host Accommodation: We have had a limited number of offers of accommodation of bedrooms with host families. Due to the shortage of affordable accommodation within Pembrokeshire we need to ensure we continue to match you to people who have offered accommodation within their homes. We try to keep you in a similar area to your previous accommodation but this will depend on availability.
  • Emergency placements: Sometimes we won’t always have host accommodation available at short notice, therefore we may need to place you in a bed and breakfast or hotel whilst we try to find you an alternative match. This emergency accommodation will be where there are vacancies at the time

Finding alternative accommodation

Your lead worker will undertake a 3 month accommodation review with you and your host to discuss how the hosting is going on both sides and consider your intentions beyond the 6 months. This information will be used to ensure that your long-term accommodation needs are understood. Should it be identified that your hosting arrangement is coming to an end sooner, your lead worker will refer you to a housing officer who can offer specialist advice and support

After residing with your sponsor for the 6 to 12 months, staff from the Housing Service will work with you to assist finding alternative longer-term accommodation. You will have an appointment with a housing officer who will discuss your options with you and identify any specific criteria you may have for your future accommodation. Please be aware that we may not be able to meet all your requirements due to the current demands for housing in Pembrokeshire.

We are hoping to work with host families to identify any placements, which may be able to continue past the 12 months of the Homes for Ukraine Scheme and see whether you are able to come to a more formalised agreement to remain in the accommodation. This may involve becoming a lodger or a ‘tenant’ if your accommodation is self-contained.

If you are not able to remain longer term in your accommodation, then the housing officers will support you to look at other housing options. This is likely to include:

  • Private Rented Sector: Accommodation from a private landlord, this is generally self-contained and you would have an agreement with the landlord and pay rent directly to them each month. We may be able to assist you with the upfront costs towards securing this accommodation such as a bond and first month’s rent in advance as long as the property is suitable and affordable. The housing officer will confirm what is deemed suitable and affordable for you based on your individual circumstances.
  • Social Housing: Pembrokeshire operate a Choice Homes@Pembrokeshire scheme for social housing which is a combined list for properties owned by Pembrokeshire County Council, Ateb and Wales and West Housing Association. If you would like to remain in Pembrokeshire, all Ukrainian nationals are eligible to join the Choice Homes@Pembrokeshire register. Your housing officer will assist you with completing these forms when necessary. Please be aware there is a huge demand for social housing currently within Pembrokeshire with over 5300 households currently registered waiting for social housing and your wait for this type of accommodation is likely to be very long.

Affording your accommodation

When looking for accommodation you must ensure that, you can afford to pay the rent, utility bills and any other costs associated with the property.

When you become a tenant of any type of accommodation, you will be responsible for paying:

  • Rent
  • Council Tax
  • TV Licence
  • Electricity usage
  • Heating fuel costs
  • Water and Sewerage

(this list is not exhaustive)

You may be eligible for council tax reduction. More information can be found here:Council Tax reduction 

You may be eligible to claim additional financial help towards the costs of the rent through Universal Credit, which is called the Housing Element. If you are working, but have a lower income, you may still be eligible for the Housing Element part of Universal Credit, even if you are not eligible for the personal allowance.

Please see below, as a basic guidance for affordability, the maximum amount of Housing Element you would receive. The rate you will receive is based on the number of bedrooms you require. Your housing officer can advise on this further for your specific requirements. 


Number of Bedrooms Required

Maximum Weekly Amount

Single person under the age of 35


1 Bed Requirement - Couple or Single person over the age of 35


2 Bedroom


3 Bedroom


4+ Bedroom


Other Organisations/ Agencies

Many other organisations or agencies could assist you. They may be able to assist with finding alternative accommodation or securing furniture/ white goods, we have listed some of them below who you may wish to contact.

  • Pathway Lettings: is a Social Lettings Agency (and tenancy mediation service). We assist our clients in searching for housing and offer competitive rates for both landlords & tenants
  • FRAME: collects unwanted, re-usable household goods including furniture, clothing and bric-a-brac free of charge. Re-useable items are available to the general public at their showrooms in Haverfordwest and Pembroke Dock for a requested donation. Items will be discounted to those receiving State Benefit/Pension, on the production of proof of benefit.
  • In cases of extreme hardship or crisis FRAME can provide necessary items of furniture and household goods free of charge. Referrals for this service are accepted in writing from social workers, Pembrokeshire Action for the Homeless (PATH), community support workers, refuges and other recognised agencies. This service is provided subject to the availability of goods and an assessment of need by one of the groups or individuals previously mentioned. 
  • CAB: Pembrokeshire Citizens Advice is about providing free, independent, confidential, and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. 
  • Shelter: Charity that provides advice on housing 
  • SHAPES: provides equipment to enable you to maintain to aid your daily living and maintain your independence at home.
ID: 9069, revised 17/03/2023


Applying for a school place and childcare

Ukrainian nationals can apply for a school place for a child as soon as they arrive. Starting school can help children settle in and make friends.

A parent can apply for a school place for their child. Alternatively, you can complete the application on the parent’s behalf.

You can apply for the child to start in the new school year in September or in the middle of the school year.

The application will be considered under Pembrokeshire’s school admission arrangements, as all applications are. The outcome will depend on the number of places available at local schools.

Guests are advised to contact the Pembrokeshire Parent Partnership on or 01437 776354 to discuss their children joining a local school and how to complete the school admissions process.

More information can be found at: School admissions and transport 

Free home to school transport

Your guest’s child may be able to get free transport to school, depending on how far they live from the school and any additional needs they may have. To qualify for free school transport your child must:

  • Be a resident of Pembrokeshire
  • Be of compulsory school age
  • Be attending their catchment area school which is designated by the Council to serve the pupil’s home address, or to the nearest suitable school
  • Live at least 2 miles from the school if they’re in primary school or at least 3 miles from the school if they’re in secondary school

Free school meals and Pupil Development Grant

Free school meals will only be provided for pupils who receive or whose parents receive one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA). Contribution Based Jobseekers Allowance (CBJSA) does not qualify
  • Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credits only, with an annual household Income of under £16,190 *
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (IR)
  • Universal Credit

From September 2022 families will need to register for Free School meals. As well as receiving a healthy nutritious meal families will automatically become eligible for a Pupil Development Grant.  This can be used to purchase equipment for school, including uniform, stationary, IT equipment, school bags, school trips etc.

If a uniform (or other permitted items) has already been purchased for a learner and they meet the above criteria, a retrospective claim can be made (within the academic year).

To register for a free school meal please go to Free School Meals - Pembrokeshire County Council or alternatively speak to your Lead Worker for assistance.

Application forms are also available from:

  • your Childs’s school
  • by telephoning 01437 764551;
  • by writing to Revenue Services, County Hall, Haverfordwest, SA61 1TP.


Ukrainian nationals will be able to get advice and support to find childcare from our Family Information Service.

Telephone: 07435 780910


Website: Family Information Service 

ID: 9073, revised 26/10/2022


Speak to your Jobcentre Plus Work Coach or named Lead Worker from Pembrokeshire County Council about how you can access this support

Our employment mentors will provide 1-1 support and will develop an action plan with your guest to overcome any barriers to employment.

To find out more please email or call 01437 776609

Finding work

You can get free personal support with:

  • Careers advice and guidance
  • Creating an action plan
  • Help with job applications, Creating or updating your CV
  • Confidence building activities and courses
  • Free work related training and qualifications
  • Transferring your global qualifications
  • English classes, as a second or foreign language (ESOL)
  • Liaising with local employers
  • Interview skills and clothing
  • Trying out jobs through work trials and work experience
  • Arranging job opportunities with local employers
  • Benefits advice and ‘better off calculations’ to ensure you are financially better off in work.
  • Help to pay travel costs for attending appointments and training
  • Help to pay for childcare or replacement care so you can attend appointments and training
  • Specialist support for people with disabilities, learning disabilities and autism who want to work

Starting work

You can get support to:

  • Help to pay for clothing, uniform & Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for work
  • Help to pay for other costs such as DBS or professional registrations
  • Some help to pay for travel costs for travel to work
  • Some help to pay for childcare or replacement care
  • Help for employers to create a job opportunity for you
  • Specialist support for people with disabilities, learning disabilities and autism who may need adjustments or adaptations to start work

Starting your own business

You can get:

  • Help to start your own business
  • Support to apply for funding for your business/business idea
  • Space to work from with fast broadband

Staying in work

You can get:

  • Help to improve your work prospects (increase hours, find a different job, get a permanent contract)
  • Skills and qualifications while you are in work
  • Counselling and complementary therapies to help you return to work if you are unwell.
  • Specialist support for people with disabilities, learning disabilities and autism who may need adjustments or adaptations to stay in work

Ongoing support

You can get:

  • Advice about support services – Social care, Food banks, Benefits and Money Advice, GP support, Mental Health support, Carers support & information services etc.
  • Translation services
  • English classes as a second or foreign language (ESOL)
  • Benefits advice and guidance

JobCentre Plus

Local offices are located in Haverfordwest, Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock. They can all be contacted on 0800 169 0190.

Visit: GOV.UK 

ID: 9071, revised 26/10/2022

Living Costs

Talking about living costs

It is really helpful for sponsors and guests to have open conversations about who will pay towards different living costs such as food, transport and energy bills. It means that everyone knows what their responsibility is and what is expected of them, which will hopefully help avoid any potential problems.

Circumstances will change over time – whether through getting Universal Credit or a job – so regular conversations can be useful.

Who should be paying for living costs such as food, accommodation and energy bills?

UK Government says that sponsors are only responsible for providing accommodation. Sponsors are not expected to cover the costs of food and living expenses, although some may wish to assist in the early days, especially when their guests arrive, e.g. some sponsors offer meals.

Sponsors can ask guests for:

  • A contribution to the cost of food
  • A reasonable and proportionate contribution (according to use) for water, gas and electricity consumed or supplied to the accommodation or to any shared facilities.

Sponsors are not allowed to charge rent to guests arriving under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme

Guests staying in self-contained accommodation are liable for council tax but they can apply for a reduction if they are in receipt of Universal Credit.

On arrival, every Ukrainian guest will be provided with a £200 interim payment to help with subsistence costs. Go to our Interim Payment page for further information.

Under the Homes for Ukraine scheme people also have access to public services, work and benefits. As and when a Ukrainian guest is in receipt of Universal Credit, then this could be used to contribute towards household costs as this benefit is designed to cover living expenses. Likewise, when a Ukrainian guest gets a job and has a regular income, it would be reasonable to ask for a contribution towards living costs.

To find out more about Universal Credit please visit our page on Benefit Information.

Ukrainians must not be required to take up or continue in employment in order to maintain their accommodation. Labour must not be expected for free or be paid under the specified minimum wage, including domestic services and seasonal agricultural work, in exchange for accommodation and/or food.

ID: 9072, revised 26/10/2022

Health and Wellbeing

Registration with GP

You need to register with GP as you as you arrive in Pembrokeshire. This will ensure that you are able to access the right help and advice as GPs are our primary health care providers. To find your local surgeon please visit the Hywel Dda GP Surgeries Directory

If you require help with completing the Registration form please contact our Community Hub at 01437 776301.

UK vaccination programmes  

If you want more information related to the vaccines offered in the UK and when to have them, please visit NHS vaccinations guide. 

Covid-19 vaccine - Ukrainian nationals can get the Covid-19 vaccine and boosters for free through the NHS. They will need to be registered with a GP.

Getting a prescription

Ukrainian nationals will need to visit their new GP to get a prescription. They should then take their prescription to a pharmacy or chemist to receive the medication. They may need to pay for prescription medicines.

Pharmacists can give free advice on treating minor health problems, such as colds and coughs.

Find a local pharmacy 

Health advice from 111

Get free health advice from the NHS by phoning 111 or visit: 111 Wales There is an interpreter service available.

Dentistry services

Ukrainian nationals can register with a dentist as either an NHS patient or a private patient. Find a dentist   

If your guest is receiving Universal Credit, they should let the practice know and register as an NHS patient. Check-ups and necessary treatments will be free.

Maternity care and midwifery services

A GP can arrange appointments with maternity and midwifery services.

Help for people who have experienced distressing events

People who have experienced distressing events may experience a range of both mental/emotional and physical symptoms. You can:

  • Speak to your nurse or doctor and if an interpreter is needed, let the receptionist know when the appointment is made
  • Ring C.A.L.L, the mental health helpline for Wales on 0800 132 737. Calls are free and you can ask for an interpreter

Supporting someone who has experienced trauma can also impact on your health and wellbeing. Remember that you can ask for support in your own right.

Emotional support

There are a number of helplines that are offering emotional support for people who have fled Ukraine:

  • British Red Cross - 0808 196 3651 (open daily 10am - 6pm) and you can ask for an interpreter if you need one
  • Samaritans - If you are feeling very distressed, call The Samaritans on 116 123 or email:  

The British Red Cross also have a set of wellbeing resources that cover topics such as dealing with trauma and coping in a personal crisis. Visit Red Cross 

Community Development Outreach Team

The team are based within Hywel Dda University Health Board and provide support to diverse communities including Ukrainians to:

  • Register with GPs and dentists
  • Connect people to support that can help them
  • Help access health information in their preferred language
  • Share information on healthcare services

To contact the team:

Call 01554 899055


ID: 9070, revised 17/03/2023

Benefit Information

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help you with living costs, for example, paying for things like water, electricity, gas, food and transport. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, unemployed or cannot work for other reasons.

Your Lead Worker can provide you and your host with guidance on how to apply for this on the following website: Universal Credit – Make a Claim

If help is needed to pay bills or cover other costs while waiting for the first Universal Credit payment, an advance application can be made. The most advance that can be made is the amount of the first estimated payment. The applicant can apply for an advance payment through their online account or through the Jobcentre Plus work coach. The applicant will need to:

  • explain why the advance is needed
  • verify identity (they’ll do this when they apply online or on the phone with a work coach)
  • provide bank account details for the advance

The applicant will usually find out the same day if they can get an advance. The advance will need to be repaid. They start paying it back out of their first payment.

You can choose how many months you pay the advance back over, within the time limit. You must usually pay back the advance within 24 months. You do not pay interest on it - the total amount you pay back is the same.

If you have questions about how Universal Credit works you can call:

  • 0800 328 5644 to speak to Universal Credit Full Service
  • 0800 144 8444 to speak to Citizens Advice Help to Claim

Support for those fleeing the conflict in Ukraine: Understanding Universal Credit

Pension Credit

If you are over the State Pension age and on low income, Pension Credit gives you extra money to cover your living costs.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension, and you are able to get it even if you have other income.

To find out how much you could get, use the Pension Credit Calculator

Other benefits

Depending on circumstances and/or age, Ukrainian refugees may be eligible for:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Child Disability Living Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance

Those who meet the criteria may be eligible for the contributions-based 'New Style' Employment and Support Allowance or 'New Style' Jobseekers Allowance. The Jobcentre or Citizens Advice are best placed to advise on benefit entitlements based on circumstances.

To receive Universal Credit and other benefits, your guest will need to open a bank account. They can open a bank account by visiting any bank. They will need to have documents that show their identity, immigration status and possibly proof of address. Some banks are more flexible about the proof of address requirement so it can be worth doing some research and shopping around. Their Lead Worker can also provide a letter of verification if that is required by the bank.

Translation services are available to help new arrivals with phone applications, and Work Coaches in DWP Jobcentres can support people making claims online. 

DWP staff are also delivering additional face-to-face assistance to those who need it – including support to find work and advice on claiming benefits.


Entitledto is an independent benefits calculator that can help people identify benefits they may be eligible for. Ukrainian guests have the same eligibility for any welfare benefits as UK Citizens for the duration of their visa.


ID: 9063, revised 26/10/2022

Immigration Advice

To obtain information on immigration please refer to the Welsh Government - Ukraine website explaining different types of Visas available to Ukrainian citizens or call if you know you are coming to Wales.

The Contact Centre operates Monday to Friday, and will be staffed between 09:00hrs and 17:00hrs.

Freephone within UK: 0808 1751508

From outside the UK: 020 4542 5671 / +44 (0)20 4542 5671

Pro Bono Immigration Advice

Ukraine Advice Project is a group of volunteer qualified lawyers, providing free legal advice on UK visas and refugee rules. Please note that their service operates only in English so you may require a friend or family member translating for you.

Legal Aid Solicitors & Immigration Advisers

If you are on a low income and need help accessing an immigration solicitor, search the provided list of legal aid organisations.

GOV.UK – Legal Aid Advisors

Please note that closest legal aid advisors specialising in immigration related matters are located in Swansea.

Alternatively, you can find an immigration adviser on the Home Office adviser finder tool. You can select level of advice required and filter between paid and free services.

Home Office – Adviser finder

Biometric Resident Permits (BRP)

Your guest will need to contact the Home Office to request their BRP within 90 days of arrival to extend their stay for up to 3 years and be issued with a biometric residence permit (BRP) as evidence of your immigration status.

BRP’s are handled by the Home Office. The process is as follows:

  • On arrival to the UK, citizens will either have a stamp put in their passport or if they don’t have a passport they would have been issued with a document called IS116.
  • Ukraine Nationals that hold a valid Ukraine Passport will be able to do their visa applications online.
  • On arrival to the UK they have 90 days to contact the Home Office to request their BRP.
  • They will have up to six months to submit their biometrics and once this is done they will then be awarded 3yrs stay in the UK.
  • Civilians without a passport will be issued a paper version of the visa at the Visa Application Centre as their Biometrics are confirmed in Europe and they will be issued with an IS116 document.

In these scenarios the Home Office will notify by letter once the BRP is ready to be collected for a nominated Post Office.  

Information about completing this can be found at: GOV.UK 

Pembrokeshire Citizens Advice

You may be able to receive support and guidance from our local Citizens Advice offices. You can find out more information on their website – Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can be contacted on 01437 806070 during the following opening times:

Monday: 10:00am - 1:00pm

Tuesday: 10:00am - 1:00pm

Wednesday: Closed

Thursday: 10:00am - 1:00pm

Friday: Closed

Alternatively, you can fill out their online form if you prefer to communicate electronically.


Ukraine Project Cymru

A new immigration advice service for Ukrainians in Wales is offering FREE one-off advice appointments to help you understand your immigration status and how to take your own case forward.

For more information email:


ID: 9064, revised 02/05/2023

Interim Payment

Ukrainian people arriving under the Homes for Ukraine scheme are eligible for an interim payment of £200 from UK Government for subsistence costs to support them until they can access other sources of income. This money can be used for essential items and also as a contribution to food and transport costs. This is administered by Pembrokeshire County Council. The payment does not need to be repaid and it belongs to the Ukrainian guest.

This will usually be paid by issuing a pre-paid credit card but in some cases will be given as cash. 

Lead Workers will make sure that the Interim Payment is issued upon one of the first visits and will advise on the application for Universal Credit. This can take the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) between 4-6 weeks to process.

Please contact us on or 01437 776301 if you have not received your payment.

ID: 9065, revised 26/10/2022

Transportation & Driving

Bus & Train Services

Until 31st of March the following services are available to the Ukrainian guests for free:

  • All local bus services
  • Transport for Wales rail services across Wales
  • Bus and Transport for Wales train services that cross into England if starting or finishing in Wales.

To be eligible for this scheme you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Hold a valid passport (Ukrainian ‘refugees’ only) until processed through the Home Office
  • Have a letter issued by the Home Office
  • Hold a biometric British Residence Permit (BRP) marked that someone is a ‘refugee’
  • Have a proof of being a ‘refugee’ who has Humanitarian Protection (HP)
  • Be someone who can present a BRP which does not include those phrases but accompanied by a letter or email which says they have been granted refugee status / Humanitarian Protection

As well as public transport, Pembrokeshire has a number of community transport options, which are particularly helpful in more rural areas. These include:

  • Fflecsi Bus  
  • Country Cars, Dial a Ride, Scooters and Take Me Too – Contact PACTO on 0800 783 1584 or visit PACTO 
  • Local buses  

Bus Routes and Timetables - Pembrokeshire County Council

National Rail Enquiries

Driving in Pembrokeshire

You must have both a full driving license and in-date motor insurance to drive a vehicle on UK roads. Depending on the type of driving licence you hold different rules will apply to you.

Car & Bike Licence Holders

DVLA advises that if you passed your driving test outside of EU/EEA you are permitted to drive for 12 months from arrival.

This means that if you hold a Ukrainian driving licence you are allowed to use it for the 12 months of your stay.

After the 12 month period your licence will have to do one of the following:

Exchanging your licence

After 12 months you can exchange your licence – this is broken into the following categories:

  • If you passed your driving test before 28 December 2021 you can only exchange your driving licence for a UK licence that allows you to drive automatic vehicles.
  • If you passed your driving test on or after 28 December 2021 and your current licence allows you to drive manual vehicles, you can exchange it for a UK licence that allows you to drive manual vehicles.
  • If you have a motorcycle license you cannot exchange it for a UK equivalent. You will be required to apply for a provisional license and take a theory and practical test in the UK.

Please note that if you passed your driving test before 28 December 2021 and you want to drive manual vehicles in UK you will also need to apply for a provisional license and take a theory and practical test in the UK.

Lorry and Bus License Holders

If you hold a Ukrainian driving license that permits you to drive lorries and/or buses you are not eligible to drive them in UK. You will need to exchange your license and pass a GB driving test in the vehicle required.

If your license is not from EU/EEA/Designated country. You can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your license for up to 12 months from the time you become resident. 

ID: 9066, revised 07/02/2023