Ukrainian Information Centre

Health and Wellbeing

Registration with GP

You need to register with GP as you as you arrive in Pembrokeshire. This will ensure that you are able to access the right help and advice as GPs are our primary health care providers. To find your local surgeon please visit the Hywel Dda GP Surgeries Directory

If you require help with completing the Registration form please contact our Community Hub at 01437 776301.

UK vaccination programmes  

If you want more information related to the vaccines offered in the UK and when to have them, please visit NHS vaccinations guide. 

Covid-19 vaccine - Ukrainian nationals can get the Covid-19 vaccine and boosters for free through the NHS. They will need to be registered with a GP.

Getting a prescription

Ukrainian nationals will need to visit their new GP to get a prescription. They should then take their prescription to a pharmacy or chemist to receive the medication. They may need to pay for prescription medicines.

Pharmacists can give free advice on treating minor health problems, such as colds and coughs.

Find a local pharmacy 

Health advice from 111

Get free health advice from the NHS by phoning 111 or visit: 111 Wales There is an interpreter service available.

Dentistry services

Ukrainian nationals can register with a dentist as either an NHS patient or a private patient. Find a dentist   

If your guest is receiving Universal Credit, they should let the practice know and register as an NHS patient. Check-ups and necessary treatments will be free.

Maternity care and midwifery services

A GP can arrange appointments with maternity and midwifery services.

Help for people who have experienced distressing events

People who have experienced distressing events may experience a range of both mental/emotional and physical symptoms. You can:

  • Speak to your nurse or doctor and if an interpreter is needed, let the receptionist know when the appointment is made
  • Ring C.A.L.L, the mental health helpline for Wales on 0800 132 737. Calls are free and you can ask for an interpreter

Supporting someone who has experienced trauma can also impact on your health and wellbeing. Remember that you can ask for support in your own right.

Emotional support

There are a number of helplines that are offering emotional support for people who have fled Ukraine:

  • British Red Cross - 0808 196 3651 (open daily 10am - 6pm) and you can ask for an interpreter if you need one
  • Samaritans - If you are feeling very distressed, call The Samaritans on 116 123 or email:  

The British Red Cross also have a set of wellbeing resources that cover topics such as dealing with trauma and coping in a personal crisis. Visit Red Cross 

Community Development Outreach Team

The team are based within Hywel Dda University Health Board and provide support to diverse communities including Ukrainians to:

  • Register with GPs and dentists
  • Connect people to support that can help them
  • Help access health information in their preferred language
  • Share information on healthcare services

To contact the team:

Call 01554 899055


ID: 9070, revised 17/03/2023