Free school meals - Secondary
In order to qualify for Free School Meals, either the parent / Legal Guardian or student themselves must be in receipt of either:
- Income Support
- Jobseekers Allowance, Income-based only (JSA) (Please note Contribution Based Jobseekers Allowance does not qualify - JSACB)
- Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credits, with an Annual Household Income of under £16,190 p.a. (Please note Working Tax Credits does not qualify even if received in addition to these benefits.)*
- Income-Related Employment Support Allowance Only
- Support under part VI of the immigration and asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit ‘run on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – where earned income does not exceed £7400 As a guide, your annual household income is usually stated on a TC602 Tax Credits Summary/Award Notice. *You do not qualify if you receive Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits - even if your annual household income is still under £16,190p.a.
Application forms are also available from:
- your Childs’ school
- by telephoning 01437 764551;
If you wish to claim free school meals for more than one child, only one form needs to be submitted, even if the children are attending different schools within Pembrokeshire.
You will be required to provide current proof of qualifying benefit with the application form, even if you are applying for renewal of free meals. Free meals cannot be granted until the relevant proof of entitlement has been submitted.
Pembrokeshire County Council does not grant free meals for pupils attending schools outside Pembrokeshire, or for students at college. Pupils living in Pembrokeshire and attending schools in other counties should apply to the local authority maintaining the school.