Apply for free school meals for your child
If you are the parent or guardian of a child in school, they may be eligible for free school meals (opens in a new tab).
For children in secondary school, this would include daily allowance to pay for their lunch.
The information about who receives free school meals is private.
Free school meals have changed
The Free School Meals scheme (eFSM) requires eligible parents and guardians to apply.
But with the rollout of Universal Primary Free School Meals (UPFSM), all children in primary school in Pembrokeshire now receive free school meals.
Apply for eFSM to receive other support
You should still apply for eFSM if you’re eligible even if UPFSM means your child already receives free school meals.
This is because:
- you may be eligible for other support, such as the School Essentials Grant
- your school could get more funding
You might also be eligible for:
You may be eligible if you are a parent or guardian of a child in school, and you receive one of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA). Contribution Based Jobseekers Allowance (CBJSA) does not qualify
- Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credits only, with an annual household Income of under £16,190 *
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (IR)
- Universal Credit
Please note that if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credits in addition to any of these benefits you will not be eligible for free meals, even if your household income is below £16,190*.
* As a guide, an applicant's annual household income is usually stated on a TC602 Tax Credits Summary/Award Notice.
If you receive Universal Credit, your household earnings must be less than £7,400 a year after tax. This does not include any income from benefits.
Make an application for eFSM if you are eligible, even if your child already receives free school meals with the rollout of UPFSM.
You can apply any time.
To apply, you will need your:
- contact details
- child's details
- child's school name
- National Insurance number (if available)
- current proof of qualifying benefit (even if you are applying for renewal of free meals)
Application forms are also available from:
- your Child’s school
- by telephoning 01437 764551
If you wish to claim free school meals for more than one child, only one form needs to be submitted, even if the children are attending different schools within Pembrokeshire.
What happens next
You will get an email from us to confirm if and when your child will start receiving free school meals. This can take up to 5 working days and possibly longer during busy periods.
If you have any questions about your application or need help to apply, you can:
- call 01437 764551
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact your school if you have any questions or need help applying.
Pupils attending schools outside of Pembrokeshire
Pembrokeshire County Council does not grant free meals for pupils attending schools outside Pembrokeshire, or for students at college. Pupils living in Pembrokeshire and attending schools in other counties should apply to the local authority maintaining the school.