Private Housing Enforcement
Private Sector Housing Enforcement Team
This section provides information about private housing for owner occupiers, landlords and tenants. It includes advice about improving conditions, houses in multiple occupation, harassment/illegal eviction and bringing empty houses back into use.
The work of the Private Sector Housing Enforcement team is split into the following areas:
- Housing advice and enforcement to remedy Disrepair in Privately Rented Housing
- Regulating standards in Houses in Multiple Occupation
- Tenancy Relations service to landlords and tenants
- Advice on Radon Gas in dwellings
- Advice on the new Rent Smart Wales mandatory registration and licensing scheme for private sector landlords and agents which came into force on the 23rd November 2015.
Rent Smart Wales
Landlords and agents are now required by law to be registered or licensed. This new law came into force on the 23rd November 2015 and applies to all landlords and agents of private residential property. Failure to comply could incur a fixed penalty notice/fine. Registration and Licences last for a period of 5 years. Applications can be made on-line. Further information can be found: Rent Smart Wales
The scheme is administered by Cardiff Council on behalf of all local authorities in Wales.