The primary objectives of this Council are:
- To prevent, control and eradicate animal diseases
- To protect the welfare of animals at agricultural holdings, in transit and at markets
- To safeguard human health and the food chain from transmissible diseases
- To license animal establishments including pet shops, zoos, animal boarders, dog breeders and horse riding establishments
Animal Health Officers enforce all aspects of the relevant legislation and their duties include:
- Attend slaughterhouses, markets/gatherings and livestock sales, to ensure correct documentation, fitness of livestock, correct penning and handling methods.
- Farm inspections to ensure compliance with records and welfare
- Investigate complaints regarding welfare
- Take formal action against offenders where other action has been unsuccessful.
We do not deal with the welfare of companion animals e.g.: Equines or dogs and cats in a domestic environment.
Animal Health and Welfare Team
Tel: 01437 764551
This notice explains why we collect and keep your personal information, how your information is used and what we do with the information we collect.