Your Home

Home Contents Insurance

The Council, as owners of your Council home, are only covered by insurance for the structural parts of the building. The Council has no insurance to cover: decorations, carpets, furnishings and your other possessions. It is your responsibility as a tenant to make sure that these are insured.

Have you got contents insurance?

Many tenants think that if something happened at their home such as a fire, there would not be a problem because they can claim for anything lost from the Council’s insurance.

This is not true!

The Council does not insure your contents for you.

As a tenant it is your responsibility to ensure that you have enough insurance cover for your contents and personal effects, so that you can claim in the event of theft, loss or damage.

What is contents insurance for?

Home contents Insurance covers all of your household contents such as furniture, carpets, curtains, kitchen equipment, television, stereo, ornaments, clothing, computers etc. It is the total value of everything in your home that you would take with you if you were to move.

Some policies cover accidental damage to televisions, satellite receivers, videos, DVD players, home computers and audio equipment. You can take out a policy to cover accidental damage to all of the contents in your home.

You are strongly advised to insure the contents of your home…

Failure to take out your own insurance can in no way impose an obligation on the Council in the event of accidental damage.

You should think about including the following in your household insurance:-

  1. Furniture, carpets, fittings & internal decorations i.e. damage following burst pipes, flood, bursting of heating appliances, water storage tanks and cylinders, damage arising from fire and other occurrences.
  2. Sanitary Fittings i.e. accidental damage
  3. Glass and glazing to windows, doors and internal partitions
  4. Locks and keys

Where can I get contents insurance?

There are many insurance companies you can choose from. However, if you are not sure what sort of cover is best for you, then get advice from an independent insurance broker.

Remember – insure now to avoid disappointment later!

Contact information:

Housing tenancy management
Tel: 01437 764551

ID: 1704, revised 10/03/2023