Working in childcare
Becoming a Childminder
If you would like to have a rewarding career, be your own boss and run your business from your own home, then childminding could be an ideal career for you!
As a registered childminder you will:
- Be able to care for your own children at the same time;
- Offer the children you care for a happy stimulating environment;
- Provide learning opportunities and see the children develop;
- Work in your home and choosing the hours you work;
- Meet other childminders in your area and get to know your local community;
What does being a registered childminder entail?
- You will look after one or more child under the age of 12; for more than two hours a day; in your own home; for payment.
- You will meet the National Minimum Standards (NMS).
- Be registered with and inspected by the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) to ensure you provide a safe and stimulating environment for the children in your care.
- You will be self- employed and run your own business
IMPORTANT: It is illegal to care for children under the age of 12 in your own home for more than two hours a day without being registered
How to become a registered childminder in Pembrokeshire?
- Contact the Pembrokeshire Family Information Service (FIS) on 01437 770014 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend a Childminder Briefing Session
Family Information Service Officer will inform you when the ‘Understand How to Set Up a Home Based Childcare Service’ is running.
- The CYPOP 5 course is delivered over 8 weeks by Pembrokeshire College
- Once you’ve completed the course, the next stage is attending mentoring sessions in order to complete the registration pack for the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)
- You will be required to attend a Paediatric First Aid prior to completing the registration
- Request a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) form from CIW for yourself and anyone over the age of 16 in the household
- Submit your application to CIW
- CIW will arrange a home visit where an inspector will come and visit you in your home
For details of forthcoming briefing sessions and courses please contact:
Pembrokeshire Family Information Service (FIS)
Tel: 01437 770014
For more information about becoming a registered childminder: