Health and well-being services
The Social Services and Wellbeing Act (Wales) 2014
The Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act received Royal Assent and became law on 1 May 2014. It came into force on 6 April 2016.
The Act provides the legal framework for improving the well-being of people who need care and support, and carers who need support, and for transforming social services in Wales.
Read the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act. or easy read version for young people.
If you visit the Welsh Governments Website there are documents that demonstrate how this act affects different people/professionals in Wales. e.g if you are a carer
The Care Council for Wales has a learning hub where you can access different information.
Essential numbers and links
- NHS Direct Wales The NHS Direct Wales website contains a wide range of health information including details of dentists, pharmacies, sexual health clinics and support groups in your area as well an A-Z encyclopaedia of health. National Health Service Direct Wales (opens new window)
- A - Z encyclopaedia of health information on medical conditions and treatments. NHS Direct Wales - Encyclopaedia (opens new window)
- Choose Well will help you decide if you need medical attention if you get sick. It explains what each NHS service does, and when it should be used. Choose Well (opens new window)
- Accident and Emergency Departments (A&E) are found at most hospitals. They help people who show signs of being very ill or are badly injured. If you telephone 999 and tell the operator that there is a medical emergency, a response vehicle will be sent to your location. NHS Wales - Local Health Services (opens new window)
- Hywel Dda Health Board has a responsibility to provide all the necessary healthcare services for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire and to improve the health and wellbeing of its residents. Hywel Dda Health Board (opens new window)
- Health in Wales is the gateway to information on health and NHS services in Wales. See strategies, policies, statistics and data. Access the latest news, research and jobs online. Health in Wales is a sister site to National Health Service Direct Wales (opens new window) a gateway to information and advice about your personal health. Health in Wales (opens new window)
- Public Health Wales - Protecting and improving the health and wellbeing of the population of Wales. Public Health Wales (opens new window)
ID: 1749, revised 22/02/2023Print