Assisted Purchase scheme
What is it?
The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme enables pupils at Local Education Authority Schools, who receive tuition as part of their curriculum, to purchase instruments without paying V.A.T.. Coupled with the discounts available through many suppliers, this can lead to savings approaching 40% on many student instruments.
This procedure has the approval of H.M. Customs and Excise.
What is the choice?
An instrument can be purchased from any supplier who is V.A.T. registered. Professional advice can be obtained from the child's visiting Instrumental Teacher.
How the Scheme works.
On receipt of a completed order form, and cheque made payable to Pembrokeshire County Council for the Assisted Purchase price, the Music Service will place an official County Council order with the supplier.
The instrument will then be delivered to the child's school and handed to the pupil. The instrument then becomes the property of the pupil.
How long will it take?
In most cases, the instrument will be delivered to the school within a week of the Music Service receiving your order. Occasionally this may take longer but often the instrument arrives at the school the next day.
What are the rules?
In order to comply with the regulations imposed by H.M. Customs and Excise, the following rules must be applied:
- The student must be in full time education at a Local Education Authority School in Pembrokeshire.
- The student must be either: a) receiving tuition at the school as part of their curriculum or b) receiving private tuition in support of a curricular activity such as G.C.S.E. or A level music.
- The instrument must be appropriate for the pupil's needs.
- The instrument must be portable.
- The instrument must be handed to the pupil in a designated teaching room.
- The instrument must be charged to the parents either at, or below the cost to the L.E.A.
What you need to do
- Print the form Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme - Instrument Order Form
- Fully complete the form with head-teacher's signature
- Return the form with your cheque payable to Pembrokeshire County Council to the address on the form
- The instrument will then be ordered and delivered to the school
We are sure that you will appreciate the benefits offered to pupils through this scheme - if you have any questions or require further information, please contact:
Pembrokeshire County Council Music Service
Tel. 01437 775202/775076