Hospital Care Admission

Community Nursing Services

NHS Continuing Healthcare

NHS continuing healthcare is funded by the NHS for individuals who are not in hospital and have been assessed as having a 'primary health need'. People who have complex health and social care needs will have their needs assessed by health and social care professionals. The provision of CHC will require a multi-disciplinary decision in discussion with the person and their family/advocate. For more information visit NHS Wales 

The Community Nursing Service

For patients who are unable to attend a surgery or clinic.  District nurses work in partnership with patients, families and carers to provide skilled nursing care at home, promote and maintain patient independence and to give advice and support.

Acute Response Team (ART)

The Acute Response Team provides acute nursing care in the community as an alternative to hospital admission and helps facilitate earlier discharge from hospital by providing the required care in the home. The service is provided to patients over the age of 16 years who have been assessed as being medically stable to receive their nursing care in their own homes or an alternative community setting in Pembrokeshire. This is a 24 hour community service covering 7 days a week.

Chronic Condition Nurse Practitioners (CCNPs)

Work alongside District Nursing teams in Pembrokeshire to support and guide people with long term conditions, encouraging them to take ownership of their own health. They enable individuals to remain within their own environments for as long as possible thus reducing hospital admissions. People are referred to this service by their GP, a District Nurse, a hospital or a member of one of the Community Resource teams. Their working hours are from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Continence Advisors

Can give you specialist advice on how to manage incontinence. Loss of bladder or bowel control is brought about by a variety of conditions so you should always see your doctor to diagnose what is causing the problem. There is a range of aids and equipment which can make it far easier to cope with incontinence and with the help of a continence advisor the problem can be cured altogether in some cases. For more information contact your GP.

You can also get help from:The Bladder and Bowel Foundation 


ID: 2128, revised 10/03/2023