It’s important that you get appropriate and adequate cover for your organisation and specific projects. Listing your group’s activities and potential risks, ensuring you plan how to reduce those risks, consider what types of insurance cover you should have in place.


Some Insurance Comparison Options

  •  Find out where other community groups get their insurance.
  • Membership to voluntary sector organisations may give you access to discounted insurers
  • Contact a broker to look for you, some brokers specialise in the insurance needs of charities or voluntary organisations
  • Contact insurance providers directly
  • Use price comparison sites
  • When comparing insurance cover check items/activities that are covered and levels of excesses


Some Different Types of Insurance Cover


Employers’ liability insurance

This is compulsory if you employ paid staff or volunteers to protect you against claims of injury, loss or damage caused to employees through your organisation’s negligence.


Public/Products liability insurance

This cover is advisable if you provide activities or services to protect you against claims of injury, loss or damage caused to others through your organisation’s negligence.


Professional indemnity insurance

This protects your organisation against claims for negligence resulting from information or advice you have provided.


Legal expenses insurance

This covers specified legal costs that your organisation could face as a result of defending or pursuing specific types of action.


Property (building & contents) insurance

This protects your organisation against the damage or loss of your premises or its contents.


Motor insurance

This is a legal requirement for organisations that own or operate motor vehicles (3rd party cover is the minimum requirement).


Event insurance

This covers your organisation for any costs if you have to cancel an event.

ID: 3858, revised 28/02/2022