Driving yourself

Driving yourself

Motability Scheme

If you receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment, the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (see Benefits and allowances) you may be able to buy or lease a car that has been specially adapted for your use through the Motability Scheme. 

Motability Operations

City Gate House, 22 Southwark Bridge Road, London. SE1 9HB
Tel: 0300 456 4566 Textphone: 0300 037 0100

If you do not qualify for this scheme you can make your own arrangements to have a car adapted by contacting a local car dealer who does motability work – search for ‘motability accredited’ firms in the Yellow Pages - Advice for disabled drivers

Disabled drivers can get advice about driving, an assessment of their capabilities, and advice about car adaptations and/or choice of car from the Forum of Mobility Centres

Tel: 0800 559 3636  

South Wales Mobility and Driving Assessment Service

Offers driver and passenger assessments that aim to provide long-term mobility solutions.
Rookwood Hospital, Fairwater Road, Llandaff, Cardiff. CF5 2YN
Tel: 029205 55130

ID: 1983, revised 24/08/2021