Carers of Children (Parent Carers)

Information for carers of disabled children - parents or someone else who has responsibility for looking after the child.

If you are in touch with Social Services and we are assessing your child's needs, we will also talk to you about your own needs as a carer. We will look at what help your child needs, over and above what any child would need, and take account of what you feel you are able to do, and what support you feel you need. This is an opportunity for you to talk about how you feel, what effect caring has on your life and the kind of help that would make it easier for you to care. 

If you want to ask for an assessment of your child's needs or your needs as a carer please contact us on 01437 764551 or email

If you want information, advice or assistance for yourself Pembrokeshire Carers Information & Support Service offer help and support for carers. This includes information advice, an emergency card, training, activities and support groups.

Tel: 01437 611002 or email

Other sources of support

Carers Trust       

Carers UK  

Contact a Family is a national organisation for families with disabled children. It provides information and advice through publications and its website. 

Contact a Family Cymru
33-35 Cathedral Road
Cardiff CF11 9HB

Tel: 029 2039 6624

SNAP Cymru provides information and support to the families of children with special educational needs. 

Tel: 0845 120 3730

ID: 2259, revised 14/02/2022