COVID-19: Any specific information relating to Pembrokeshire will be updated at or How to apply for a Covid-19 test,

Your Health

Substance Misuse, Alcohol and other drugs

Alcohol and other drug use:

Alcohol and other drug use often starts in teenage years, is experimental and takes place with peers and the alcohol or drugs used influenced by availability to a peer group. For many people this will not become problematic, however others will find it hard to feel good about life without alcohol and/or other drug use, particularly when it is helping them to live with trauma. Continued use can then lead to physical and/or psychological dependence and some people require professional assistance to reduce the harm associated with their alcohol and/or other drug use or to achieve abstinence. 

Pembrokeshire Adult Substance Misuse Services:

Substance misuse services for adults living or registered as homeless in Pembrokeshire are provided by a number of different services. In the third sector Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service (DDAS) and Adferiad Recovery (formerly CAIS) tenancy support service. In the statutory sector, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Pembrokeshire County Council working together as The Community Drug and Alcohol Team (CDAT). 

Services provided by DDAS include harm reduction interventions such a needle exchange and safer injecting advice, naloxone provision and blood borne virus testing. Also provided is engagement with structured treatment and recovery focussed treatment, both one to one and group work. DDAS will also offer support to anyone affected by someone else’s alcohol and/or other drug use. Further information can be found here: Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service 

Adferiad Recovery offer support to people who are homeless or require assistance to manage a tenancy related to their alcohol and/or other drug use. Adferiad Recovery also manage a four bedroom supported housing project for those who are not yet ready to return to a tenancy following successful completion of community or residential treatment. 

CDAT Health provide comprehensive assessment and care planned treatment including substitute opiate prescribing, community alcohol and opiate detoxification, relapse prevention medication and access to hospital inpatient detoxification. CDAT Social Care provide comprehensive assessment, care and support planning and review as well as support workers to assist continued independent living, access to residential rehabilitation is via CDAT Social Care. Leaflets with information about social care assessment can be found here  and residential rehabilitation here.

DDAS provide a single point of contact to Pembrokeshire Adult Substance Misuse Services for anyone requiring assistance in relation to their own or someone else’s alcohol and/or other drug use. 

Contact Us:-

Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service: 0330 363 9997

Adferiad Recovery (CAIS): 01437 766299

Community Drug and Alcohol Team: 01437 774141

Social Services out of Hours: 0300 333 2222


In an emergency:-

If you are concerned about someone’s immediate welfare or safety you should ring 999

Other Useful Telephone Numbers / Links :-

DAN 24/7, Support with drug and alcohol problems

Freephone:  0808 808 2234

Text DAN to: 81066


CALL, Community Advice and Listening Line: Wales based mental health information and support

Freephone: 0800 132 737

Text help to: 81066

Dewis Advocacy Support

Tel: 01646 629 123


Barod West, Specialist Young Person Substance Misuse Service

West Wales Services


Freephone:  116 123

ID: 2108, revised 11/11/2021